David Devol

766-5137


Rhonda Ferguson

417/844.4377


Sarah Gaddy

817/688.4342​


Olin Holland

230-3038

Linda Passeri
417/880.1572


Tim Phillips
417/862.3444

Debbie Sterling
417/224.6533

Becky Volz
417/865.1075

Our History

Located one block of the Historic C-Street district, the Woodland Heights neighborhood began when Edwin T. Robberson, Charles Harwood and Sempronius H. Boyd formed the Ozark Land Company. These men speculatively purchased the property around and north of Commercial Street. With the incentives of land donations and profits from the sale of platted land, they were instrumental in the Pacific and Atlantic Railroad decision to locate their line one mile north of Springfield. From this the new town of North Springfield was created. The eastern part of the Woodland Heights neighborhood was included in the initial plat of North Springfield in 1870. The neighborhood name is derived from the Woodland Heights Subdivision, which was platted after consolidation of Springfield and North Springfield in late 1880’s.

Included in the 1870 plat of North Springfield was one of Springfield’s first two city parks. Lafayette Park was originally platted as public square, possibly to compete with the Old Town;s public square during the North Springfield era. In the early years Lafayette sported a bandstand for weekend and summer activities and was encircled by a fence to keep cattle out.

In 1907 the Jefferson Avenue footbridge was build, connecting Woodland Heights to the Commercial Street business district….see the document entitled Jefferson Ave Footbridge for more information.

Another interesting aspect of Woodland Heights history was the location of the Frisco Hospital on Atlantic between Broadway and Missouri Avenues. The hospital served as emergency and care facilities for Frisco employees and was first operated by the Sisters of Charity in 1901 and later from 1904 to 1922, by the Sisters of Mercy.

Woodland Heights was home to a number of merchants, railroad employees and business professionals. One of the early residences in the neighborhood was built by a Springfield attorney Azariah W. Lincoln and his wife, Jennie Margaret Adams, both descendants of former US Presidents. Mrs Lincoln is credited with founding the Northside Boys Club. Their stately Queen Anne Victorian home was constructed in 1887 and stands today at 2006 N. Douglas as a reminder of a grand era.

2016 Board Members

Krysta Counts
Community Development Specialist

Community Partnership
417/888.2020

kcounts@cpozarks.org

Phyllis Ferguson
City Council Zone 1
417/864-1651

pferguson@springfieldmo.gov

People to Know...

Jim Cooney

Neighborhood PAR Officer
Springfield Police Department
417/837.5878
jcooney@springfieldmo.gov

Claudia Crighton

Resource Coordinator
Office of Public Information

417/864.1010 or 417/864.1012
ccrighto@springfieldmo.gov